What we offer
- Advanced Academy
- Screen Acting
- Advanced Class
- GCSE Drama
- Dance Academy
- Summer School
- Hungry Wolf Youth Theatre
Outstanding performing arts training
- Our core training: Main Session- 3hr session of Acting, Singing and Dance
- Advanced Class
- Advanced Academy
- Extra Dance Technique Class
- Boys Dance Class
- ISTD Ballet
- ISTD Tap
- private LAMDA tuition leading to exams
- private singing tuition, leading to LCM exams
- Pre-Professional Jazz Class
- Intermediate Musical Theatre Jazz Class
- Screen Acting Class
- Performance Choir
- GCSE Drama
- WRAP (Write Rock and Pop) Songwriting Class
- West End Experience Summer School
- Hungry Wolf Visionary Youth Theatre Company
Learn dance technique from West End performers
Our main session includes a group dance class, which focuses on building a solid dance technique that can be applied to many different dance styles. The classes work on developing strength and flexibility with a strong emphasis on posture, spacial awareness and performance technique.
Our dance curriculum covers many aspects of the industry:
- All dance classes are taught by our team of highly experienced tutors, who are all professional performers themselves, with careers spanning all areas of dance performance, choreography and tuition
- Students are not only taught steps, but are taught how to rectify any faults before poor technique sets in, which can be challenging to correct at a later stage
- Students often partner theatrical jazz dances with songs they have worked on in their singing classes- it takes fitness and strength coupled with correct technique to dance and sing at the same time!
- We cover a variety of dance styles from different eras and musical genres, placing focus on current dance trends. Choreographing is also encouraged to develop imagination and expression through movement
- As a registered member of the Council for Dance Education, we offer specialist training in Intermediate Musical Theatre Jazz and Pre-Professional Jazz for some of our most gifted dancers, as well as offering graded classes leading to internationally recognised exams in ISTD Ballet and ISTD Tap. For more information about these classes, visit our DANCE ACADEMY page
Learn acting skills for stage and screen
Drama is a skillset that is both advantageous and strengthening to all individuals and characters. The aim of our main session group drama classes is to help each student develop his or her potential for self-expression and communication and to help each student understand and appreciate the art of theatre and television.
Our drama curriculum covers many aspects of the industry:
- Our innovative classes help students to increase their ability to communicate verbally and physically, to think imaginatively, to concentrate, to play, to feel and understand emotions, to co-operate in groups and to seek solutions.
- Over our successful years of drama training, we are proud to have nurtured both students who pursue professional careers on stage and screen, as well as students who utilize their theatrical skills for other school activities and achieve success in many other fields
- Our drama programme equips the students to a high level in a range of performance contexts including live performance, film, television and radio
- We work hard to create an environment for training which is based on trust, mutual respect and a love of drama, enabling students to feel secure enough to take creative risks. All students are encouraged to express themselves in their own way
- We offer private drama tuition which can lead to LAMDA exams. The higher grades of these exams can be used to gain UCAS points for entry into University later in life. The pieces are also often submitted to local festivals and our students get consistently outstanding results.
- We have an additional Screen Acting class on offer at our Brighton Saturday, Bexhill and Chichester schools for those students looking to gain skills more specific to Film and Television work. This is particularly useful for those on the Agency, or those wanting to be
- Students are able to take GCSE Drama with us from age 12 (subject to academic level at school). This means that they can free up more options in school, take a GCSE early and work with a group of likeminded individuals, all capable of high achievement
Learn vocal technique from West End Professionals
Our main session includes a group singing class that focuses on developing a sound vocal technique that will equip our students with the skills to develop into strong stage performers.
Our singing curriculum covers many aspects of the industry:
- A variety of singing styles are covered and encouraged from Musical Theatre and Pop through to Classical
- We educate our students in all aspects of posture, vocal health, breathing, support, musicality and diction to ensure that they have the skillset required to sing safely and to the best of their ability
- Lessons are inspiring, fun and designed to build the students’ confidence. Students are encouraged to sing solo and demonstrate that they are happy to sing in front of their group
- Attention is given to the the importance of Acting through Song, using the whole body and facial expression to successfully communicate the text of a song, particularly in Musical Theatre
- Substantial help is given in audition technique and students regularly have the opportunity to audition for solos in our own productions as well as for professional work
- Lessons are led by strong team of teachers who are consummate stage performers, many with additional skills as Musical Directors or ESTIL teachers, offering our students a truly professional standard to aspire to.
- Private singing tuition is available to our students, giving them the opportunity to take Music Theatre singing exams with London College of Music. Private students are also encouraged to compete at local festivals
- We offer a WRAP (Write Rock and Pop) songwriting class for those musically minded students keen to find their place within the music industry either as singer/songwriters or as part of a band. In this class, students learn the art of songwriting, re-imagining classic songs and learning how to develop their artistic identity and style
- Gifted singers are invited and encouraged to audition for our Performance Choir, rehearsing 3 times per term and performing locally and beyond at a variety of high profile events and public performances
Regular shows in professional theatres
Bi-annually, we produce one large show taking place either at the Brighton Dome or another prestigious venue, celebrating the success of our students. This performance- a night of singing, dancing and drama– is a highlight of the calendar and brings all of our students together to perform as one unit- our last production featured around 350 students! We pride ourselves on being able to say that our shows are of a very high standard, showcasing all our students’ excellent talent.
On the alternate year, we hold our Oscarettes Awards Night. This is a glamorous calendar highlight at the end of the summer term. The event is held in a prestigious venue with students getting dressed to impress in prom party wear, with Mini Oscars awarded to the lucky winners. Our most recent Oscarettes ceremony featured celebrity guests, bandaoke, chocolate fountains, face painting, a disco and more!
Post-16 training for aspiring professionals
Brighton & Hove High School
Build your foundation…
The ADVANCED ACADEMY is a unique foundation course; specialist training for aspiring performers aged 16+ who are serious about entering the performing arts.
The ACADEMY is technique based, providing innovative training in all aspects of the performing arts.
If you want to fulfil your dream, whether as an actor or in Musical Theatre, the ADVANCED ACADEMY is the launch pad you are looking for!
At our Academy, students are able to select either our ACTING or MUSICAL THEATRE course. These 16+ training programmes are unique in Sussex, leading the way with proven results.
- The ADVANCED Academy will equip students with the necessary skills required for audition to a leading full time drama/performing arts school.
- The ACADEMY, established since 2010, will provide up to the minute training that promotes excellence, dedication, commitment and success.
- The Academy will only train those who already demonstrate the potential to become professional performers and admission is by audition.
- Tutors are leading industry professionals with impressive performing and teaching credentials from London’s leading colleges.
- Streamlined classes offering up to 9 hours intensive training per week.
Course Highlights and Added Value:
- Regular professional, fringe and showcase performance opportunities
- Perform at prestigious venues in both Brighton and London
- Annual assessment with top Industry professionals
- Careers advice and guidance at our Headquarters in Sussex
- Advice about entering the business and support in preparing for drama school applications
- Introduction to the UK’s leading young person agency
- Opportunity to audition for top Youth Theatre Company Hungry Wolf Visionary Youth Theatre
- Gain a solid foundation in all aspects of performing arts in preparation for full-time training
- Acceptance is by audition only
- A background in performing arts training is desirable
- 100% commitment and dedication to succeed
- 90% attendance across all sessions
Drama School Success
We help our students prepare for their full time drama school auditions, and provide regular assessments with industry professionals so that they get used to an audition environment. Our Advanced Academy Students have a proven track record of securing places at top London Drama schools and Musical Theatre Colleges, including:
- Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
- Guildhall School of Music & Drama
- Arts Educational
- Guildford School of Acting
- Laine Theatre Arts
- Urdang Academy
- The Drama Centre
- Central School of Speech and Drama
- Mountview Academy
- London School of Musical Theatre
- Performers College
- London Studio Centre
- Royal Welsh College
- Rose Bruford
- The Lir Academy (Irelands National Academy of Dramatic Art)
- Tiffany Theatre College
Advanced Academy Alumni
Notable course alumni and students include:
- Richard Hadfield (member of Collabro, Winners of ‘Britains Got Talent’ 2014)
- Victoria Farley (Wicked UK Tour and Les Miserables 25th Aniiversary Tour)
- Hetti Bywater (Lucy Beale in Eastenders, Death In Paradise)
- Lucy Gape (Hollyoaks Later, Skins,The Making of a Lady)
- Oscar Lloyd (Emmerdale, The 4 o’clock Club)
- Alice Kerrigan (Casualty)
- Amy Leigh Hickman (The Dumping Ground, Tracy Beaker Returns)
- Johnny Raggett (Wolfblood, The Lady- feature film directed by Luc Besson)
- Evie Hooton (The Falling- feature film with Maisie Williams)
- Rosie Taylor-Ritson (Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang)
- Caroline Johns (Byzantium- feature film with Gemma Arterton)
- Jack Bowley (The Hanging Tree- feature film, The Dumping Ground)
Audition technique and acting for camera
Our Screen Acting tuition is an additional class for those students who show a particular interest in film and screen acting and enjoy more intense and focused work in this area. We actively encourage all students on the agency to take up this extra class.
The Screen Acting Class covers a variety of areas:
- Students work on a variety of film and television scenes, adverts, presenting features and focus on perfecting the art of screen acting
- The students explore the crucial differences between acting on camera and acting on stage
- Many of the projects worked on in class will be filmed for students to learn from and keep as some amateur showreel footage
- Attention is given to audition technique – in the performing arts business, first impressions count and having good audition technique is crucial to furthering a young actor’s career. Knowing how to promote and present yourself in a professional way is highly advantageous, and these skills are also extremely beneficial for university and job interviews
- Attention is given to perfecting ‘sight reading’ as scripts can often be given on the day of an audition and learning the skills of audition preparation when you have received a text in advance
Screen Acting sessions are run fortnightly after the main session (available in Brighton, Bexhill and Chichester). Fees are £40 per term.
Specialised training for aspiring professionals 14yrs+
Advanced class is open to students aged 14 years plus. They are invited to audition if they have reached the entry age limit and have demonstrated the sufficient talent, dedication and maturity to be part of the Advanced Class.
The course is an intense hour each week where the focus changes termly. The classes cover everything from audition repertoire, to ensemble singing and acting for stage and screen. In addition to this weekly hour, Advanced students are also committed to The Theatre Workshop Youth Choir.
The Advanced Class offers students a range of further opportunities:
- Students work towards an annual showcase performance in either Brighton or London, offering them the opportunity to perform to an audience of friends and family as well as invited industry guests
- Advanced Class students are assessed annually by a highly regarded industry professional eg. a casting director, agent etc. This gets the students used to preparing and performing monologues and songs in an audition environment, alleviating pressure later down the line when considering post 18 options
- The class is demanding of the students and expects a level of dedication. The idea is that the students take the class in preparation for our ADVANCED ACADEMY at 16 years +
- The objective of the course is to stretch the students to a new level of performance and perfect techniques taught and to also prepare them for a successful audition into our Advanced Academy
Advanced Class includes 12 weekly 1 hour Advanced Class sessions and three 2.25 hr choir rehearsals per term.
Outstanding grades in GCSE examinations
Our GCSE drama course is available for those aged 12 years +. This is an exciting opportunity for those who are choosing their options.
Our GCSE course offers:
- Intensive course structure taught by leading GCSE teacher Olivia Simpson
- Small classes of like-minded students who are used to achieving in drama, working under pressure and delivering to a high standard
- The ability to take a GCSE exam early, meaning the pressure is off by the time students reach their GCSE years at their academic schools and have other exams to focus on
- By taking drama outside of school, students are able to select more options in school, which is invaluable, particularly if they are gifted in all areas
- Exciting theatre trips to provide inspiration for their written GCSE work
The course does involve work in their own time including essay writing, learning scripts and reading, as all GCSE subjects do. Students will be fully supported throughout the course.
Outstanding dance training in Jazz, Ballet and Tap
OUR DANCE ACADEMY
- Well established, qualified West End tutors, many of whom teach at top London colleges
- ISTD classes in Ballet and Tap designed to offer the students the opportunity to take exams for nationally recognised qualifications in dance technique
- Inspiring and specialised training in jazz technique from our IMT (Intermediate Musical Theatre) class to our Pre-Professional Jazz class to cater for some of our most promising dancers
- Dance Academy students have had the opportunities to dance professionally in numerous shows including: Life Through Dance (with Strictly’s Pasha Kovalev), Billy Elliot (West End), Matilda (West End), Gypsy (Chichester Festival Theatre and West End), Swan Lake (UK Tour) and many more.
Dance classes are held at the Brighton Aldridge Community Academy and run on Mondays and Wednesdays.
|Monday||2||Ballet||4.45pm till 5.30pm||2|
|2||Tap||5.30pm till 6.15pm||2|
|3||Ballet||5.00pm till 6.00pm||1|
|3||Tap||6.15pm till 7pm||2|
|4||Ballet||6pm till 7pm||1|
|4||Tap||7.00pm till 8.00pm||2|
|5||Ballet||7pm till 8pm||1|
|5||Tap||8.00pm till 9pm||2|
|6||Ballet||8.00pm till 9.15pm||1|
|Wednesday||Junior Pre Professional||4:45pm till 5:45pm||1|
|INTER||Tap||5:45pm till 6:45pm||1|
|Boys Conditioning||6:45pm till 7:15pm||1|
|Pre professional||7:15pm till 9:15pm||1|
|Class||Price per Session||Price per Term|
|Ballet Grade 2||£6.25||£75|
|Ballet Grade 3,4,5||£7.50||£90|
|Ballet Grade 6||£8||£96|
|Boys Body Conditioning and Strength||£4.10||£50|
|Tap Grade 2&3||£6.00||£72|
|Tap Grade 4&5||£6.50||£78|
|Junior Pre Pro||£7||£84|
The Theatre Workshop Dance Academy – Setting The Standard
Song writing classes for aspiring young musicians
- Ideal for budding singer songwriters wanting to learn the art of writing and co-writing songs and developing their own style, as well as discovering their place within a band or the industry itself
- Students who play instruments are actively encouraged to bring it along and see how they can find their own sound in a band while working together in writing and recording their own material
- Students are offered guidance in the initial stages of discovering their place within the music industry, as well as in the later stages of development and working towards gaining publishing deals
- SWAD students get the opportunity to perform during the TTW calendar. Students are currently working towards a busking performance, and in the past they have performed at The Brighton Dome, The Brunswick, The Latest Music Bar and the Hilton Hotel, and some students have had their music played on local radio! The group also recorded their own song for the Rocking Horse Charity which was played on Sussex Radio stations on Christmas Day!
- SWAD students get the opportunity to record their music in a recording studio and take part in fun photo shoots across Brighton to ensure they have all the tools they need to launch themselves
This is a really inspiring class and leaves the students brimming with confidence. The class runs fortnightly on a Saturday afternoon from 3-5pm and is open to students aged 12+ by audition. Click on the links below to hear examples of the work some of our current SWAD students have been creating.
Fun activities for the school holidays!
The Theatre Workshop works in proud partnership with West End Experience.
West End Experience are returning to Brighton next summer to give YOU the ultimate Musical Theatre experience!
The course includes:
- Five days of intensive training with West End professional actors, choreographers and musical directors covering all aspects of singing, acting and dance
- Students get the opportunity to perform in a full two hour concert alongside the West End professionals to an audience of around five hundred people, giving them a real taste of what it’s like to be a West End pro!
- Every day, the students will study songs, dance routines and scenes from a different West End show, with a cast member from that show. They only work with the very best professional actors, choreographers, dance captains and musical directors to make sure you get a one in a lifetime experience you will never forget!
This year, there are two Brighton Summer Schools to choose from:
WEEK 1 Monday 8th – Sunday 14th August 2016
WEEK 2 Monday 22nd – Sunday 28th August 2016
The cost is just £225 for this week to be remembered forever!
For more information, visit www.westendexperience.com
Birmingham dates to be announced…
We are excited to announce the Creative Team set to work with Hungry Wolf in 2017 & 2018…
Writer: Katherine Manners who is currently developing plays at Salisbury Playhouse, The National and RADA
Director: Conor Baum. Upon graduation of Rose Bruford Conor spent the following three months on a Directing Observership in collaboration with California-based repertory company Shakespeare Napa Valley and the University of Kingston at the Rose Theatre.
Critically acclaimed Youth Theatre Company
A NEW GENERATION OF YOUTH THEATRE FOR SUSSEX’S MOST PROMISING ACTING TALENT AGED 14-21 YEARS.
***** “Youth Theatre at its best” – British Theatre Guide
***** “A Massive highlight of the Brighton Fringe” – What’s on Stage
***** “A game changer in how Youth Theatre in the UK can be done” – The New Current
Hungry Wolf burst onto the youth theatre scene in 2013 and quickly established itself as the go-to company in the South East for young actors wanting to perform hard-hitting, realistic and uncompromising material.
NOW SET TO LAUNCH INTO 2017 WITH AN EXCITING PROJECT!
HUNGRY WOLF has created a new Company of Young Actors to take part in an intensive 5 day programme workshopping and developing a unique and original script written by Katherine Manner especially for Hungry Wolf. During this week the company will work alongside the Hungry Wolf Director, Conor Baum, to develop the characters, themes and setting of the play which will then premier at The Brighton Fringe Festival 2018 before transferring to a London venue and then on to The Edinburgh Fringe Festival for an experience not to be missed.
View this video of Hungry Wolf in action!
Hungry Wolf is a not for profit organisation dedicated to the development of outstanding talent and new writing.
***** “The cream of young Sussex actors – quite simply, the very best” – The Sussex Newspaper
‘A terrific night out’ Willy Russell (Playwright ‘Blood Brothers’)
Students working professionally on stage & screen
The Theatre Workshop works in partnership with one of the UK’s top young actor’s agencies to provide our students with unrivalled access to top stage and screen auditions. Student are invited to participate in annual workshops where they can meet the agency, and take part in drama audition workshops.
Our students appear frequently on stage and screen.
Television: Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Eastenders, Mr Selfridge, Chickens, The IT Crowd, Emmerdale, Holby City, Doctors, Hank Zipzer, The 4 O’Clock Club, Dani’s Castle, Cuffs, Call The Midwife, Hollyoaks Later, Topsy & Tim, Dickensian, The Making of a Lady, The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm, Skins, Silent Witness, Hancock and Joan, Harry & Paul, Man Down, The Zombie Next Door, Embassy Row, Catastrophe, Gigglebiz, The Snow Queen, Topsy & Tim, Casualty, Little Crackers…
Film: Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang, Clan of the Cave Bear, Shivvay, The Falling, Gullivers Travels, Another Mother’s Son, Alleycats, Gagarin, The Question, Zombieboys, Marrying the Sun, Until Death do us Part…
Theatre: Emil and the Detectives (National Theatre), Strange Interludes (National Theatre), Behind the Beautiful Forevers (National Theatre), To Kill A Mockingbird (Regents Park Open Air Theatre and UK Tour), Ragtime (Regents Park), The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4 (Leicester Curve), Billy Elliot (West End), Matilda (West End and Stratford upon Avon), Fiddler on the Roof (Regents Park), The Snowman (West End and UK Tour), Joseph and his Technicolour Dreamcoat (UK Tour), Evita (UK Tour), Annie (UK Tour), South Pacific (UK Tour), Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour), The Small Hand (UK Tour), Jesus Christ Superstar (UK Tour), Oliver! (UK Tour), Priscilla Queen of the Desert (UK Tour), The Sound of Music (UK Tour), Madame Butterfly (UK Tour), La Boheme (UK Tour), Half a Sixpence (UK Tour), Think Floyd (UK Tour), Hello Dolly (UK Tour), The Magic of The Musicals at Christmas (De La Warr Pavilion)…
Commercials: McDonalds, Sainsburys, Tesco, Nintendo, Sony, Wheetos, Allied Carpets, Haribo, Buxton Water, NSPCC, Butlins, Heart FM, CBBC, BENZAC, Sky Internet, Co-Op, Sky News, Playstation, Santander, UNICEF, Cadburys, Iceland, Suzuki, Clarks, Ditch the Label, The Children’s Society, Matalan, The Beech Music Video, Bluestone Holiday Resort, 3 Mobile, KLETT, Barclays, Oral B, Weetabix, O2, Vodafone, Smyths Toys, ASDA, Thomson Cruises…